By Justin Kellough,
Pictures by Sheri Fultz
PIKE CO. The stats from Friday
nights football game at Piketon were
not as telling as the score.  The
Redstreaks and the Huntsmen each
had a balance attack on the offensive
side of the ball.  Piketon rushed for
189 yards and threw for 150.  The
passing game for the Streaks came
by the hands of Jaime Helton.  The
senior signal caller ran the offense
well says Coach Tyler Guillion.  â
€œHe has a great grasp of the
offense, and what we are trying to
do as a football team.â€�  On the
ground Piketon ran via the legs of
Trevor McDowell and Cameron

The green and white turned to
number 4 Scott Perkins to control
the skies.  The senior completed 10
of 15 passes for 120 yards.  Six of
the passes were caught by Jon
Maynard for 102 yards. On the
ground, the Huntsmen were led by
Mike Smith who on 17 carries
managed to find the end zone three
times on his way to a 106 yard
night;  however, the Redstreaks took
care of the Huntsmen 47-24.

Piketon got off to a great start when
the first two series on defense
produced a three and out along with
a safety at the 8:00 minute mark by
Dakota Sparks.  After the free kick
Cameron Waldell got the ball three
straight times (two runs and one
catch) until he punched the pigskin to
the promise land with 5:47 left in the
first quarter.  Boomer Liest added
the PAT for a 9-0 score.  The hot
start continued when HHS fumbled
their first play of the new possession
caused by Shane Pack.  On the very
next play Helton completed a TD
pass to push the lead to 16-0 at the
end of the first period.

Late in the second quarter,
Huntington gained some momentum
when on third and 11 Perkins
connected to Jon Maynard for a 45
yard dart down the middle of the
field.  Mikey Smith took the handoff
on the next play and skidded for 15
yards till he crossed the goal line and
took the two-point conversion in as
well.  At the half, Piketon led
Huntington 26-8.

The pivotal first possession of the
second half saw Piketon run the
same play four straight times until
eventually scoring a touchdown on
the ground.  â€œWe saw some
things at halftime and felt we could
take advantage of them.â€�  As they
did, “We started to protect Helton
well, and we continued to play
smash mouth football.â€�  Coach
Gullion said.
After the Streaks’ first TD of the
second half the game was never in
doubt, as Piketon coasted to the final
score of 47-24.